Data Tools and Maps
PAHRC provides housing and community data to researchers, housing and community development practitioners, and low-income advocates inform their work. Please click the tabs below to read more.
National Housing Preservation Database
The National Housing Preservation Database was created by the Public and Affordable Housing Research Corporation (PAHRC) and the National Low Income Housing Coalition (NLIHC) in an effort to provide communities with the information they need to effectively preserve their stock of public and affordable housing. The National Housing Preservation Database is an address-level inventory of federally assisted rental housing from nine separate federal funding streams. The National Housing Preservation Database is not only searchable, but it also provides downloadable data extracts. Users can customize their searches by location, funding stream, or 'at risk of loss' status, in addition to other characteristics.
Researchers, advocates, developers, and housing agencies can use the database for:
- Private landlord outreach
- Mapping city-wide or neighborhood housing portfolios
- Locating nonprofit housing collaborators for potential service or funding partnerships
- Obtaining housing data to evidence the need and/or impact of affordable housing efforts
- Identifying areas where affordable housing may be in jeopardy
Community Reporting Tool
The Community Reporting Tool provides HAI Group members with customizable data extracts and maps with updated housing and demographic data from their community or selected geography. This powerful tool provides data for enhanced decision-making to help HAI Group members build and transform communities, support advocacy efforts, and build a case to demonstrate why housing matters.
HAI Group members can use the tool to:
- Create customizable data extracts for Annual Plan Reporting, Advocacy, Grant Proposals, or Median Rent Comparisons
- Conduct mapping analyses for Site Development, Fair Housing Plans, Identifying Neighborhoods of Opportunity
- Print maps of housing communities
- Download standard census housing and demographic reports
Exploring the Drivers of Unmet Demand for Rental Assistance
This map explores the impact of rental costs, economic hardship, and the supply of affordable housing on the number of families waiting per HCV by county in 2012.
Exploring Closed Waiting Lists
This map explores the percent of closed public housing and HCV waiting lists by county in 2012.
Estimating the Unmet Demand for Rental Assistance
This map explores where HCV waiting lists were closed in 2012, where the most families are waiting for Housing Choice Vouchers (HCVS) and public housing in 2012, and how long on average families waited to receive an HCV in 2013.
Average Years Spent Waiting for Rental Assistance
This map explores the average number of years families in each county spent on waiting lists before admittance into the public housing and HCV program in 2013.