HAI Group has invested more than $1.5 million to help public and affordable housing residents pay for higher education. Each year, we award 20 scholarships, each worth $6,000, to students who live on the properties we insure to help them reach their goals—and it's quickly become one of our favorite initiatives. Learn more here, and be sure to sign up for scholarship updates.
POSTER CONTESTS FOR YOUNG RESIDENTS
Your youngest residents can participate in fun poster contests and win prizes for their efforts. Designed to teach children about the importance of playground and fire safety (and help keep them safe), these contests are much anticipated each year. Learn more.
As an HAI Group policyholder, you have access to a number of free risk management courses to help you keep your properties safe. Access them at your convenience through our online training portal. Download a list of our free risk courses, or explore the full course catalog here. (Members can save on our full course catalog by subscribing.)
HADA SEMINAR AND OUTING
Since 2001, HAI Group has been bringing attorneys together for our annual Housing Authority Defense Attorneys (HADA) Seminar and Outing. Each year, leading attorneys and other industry professionals volunteer their time to present vital information that helps our members, defense counsel, and claims staff address legal issues facing the housing industry. (This exclusive event is free of charge for members.)
Visit this web page to learn more. If your housing authority's counsel is interested in attending or participating in the next seminar, email their contact information to .
COMMUNITY REPORTING TOOL
The Community Reporting Tool is a data tool that contains frequently updated housing and demographic data for a community or selected geography, and provides you with customizable data extracts and maps that you can use to:
- Amplify your research
- Reinforce your housing needs assessments
- Strengthen your strategic plans
NATIONAL HOUSING PRESERVATION DATABASE
Like you, HAI Group cares about preserving affordable housing, which is why we sponsor the National Housing Preservation Database (NHPD). Created by the Public and Affordable Housing Research Corporation (PAHRC) and the National Low Income Housing Coalition (NLIHC), this database is the only de-duplicated source of address-level data for publicly supported housing properties.
HAI Group members use the database free of charge. Register here.
Services to Benefit Your Organization
BOARD AND COMMITTEE PARTICIPATION
Part of what makes HAI Group special is that our members have a voice in the way we govern our companies. In fact, it's the key to our success. Our board of directors includes executives from member housing authorities and outside organizations, and we have committees that support and guide specific business functions.
If you're interested in helping shape the direction of our organization, log in to your account and click the Board and Governance icon on your dashboard, or email us at .
As a member, your one-time investment in HAI Group enables you to share in the financial success of our company. When HAI Group shows a profit, its board may declare a dividend. (Since 1987, our board has declared $160 million in member dividends.)
You may choose one of two options to make your contribution:
- Option A - Capital contribution in the amount of 50 percent of your first-year premium
- Option B - One-time minimum surplus contribution of $100
Your account executive can help answer questions about HAI Group dividends, or you can email for more information.
RISK MANAGEMENT SERVICES
Our risk control consultants specialize in multifamily housing and are committed to helping your organization minimize risks. Resources on a variety of topics are available for members in our Risk Management Center.
Some of our complimentary risk control services include:
- Customized training and consulting—To help your organization reduce exposure to accidents, injuries, and property damage, HAI Group can come onsite or conduct virtual training with you and your staff. Popular topics include disaster preparedness, security management, and fire safety.
- Property inspections—It's critical that your properties remain compliant with federal and state regulations. We can help evaluate them and offer recommendations to remediate issues.
- Preventable Loss Management Program—Our experienced team can develop a program to help protect your assets, providing recommendations and guidance tailored to your organization.
- Loss Prevention Fund—Apply for a chance to be reimbursed for safety investments you’ve made for your organization. (HAI Group is setting aside up to $2 million each year for these efforts.)
- Access to the Nonprofit Risk Management Center—Because this organization provides valuable content and resources, including risk management advice by phone and email, discounts on cloud-based risk management plans and policies, and a lineup of live webinars covering timely risk themes, HAI Group has purchased a membership on our members' behalf. To access this membership, create your free account on the Nonprofit Risk Management Center's website.